Top 6 Most Demanded Connected Health Devices in 2023
Healthcare is at a speed of hundred racehorses a day. The industry demands such pace, integrations, customizations, and accessibility for higher patient satisfaction and engagement.
This is where connected health devices come in, combining accessibility, customizability, and integrability into one single medical device. This satisfies patients, engages them in productive healthcare, and optimizes the chances of positive outcomes.
What are Connected Health Devices?
- Connected health devices are electronic devices that are connected to the internet and used to monitor and track an individual’s health and wellness
- These devices are typically worn or used by the individual on a regular basis to collect data on various health metrics, such as heart rate, blood pressure, activity levels, sleep patterns, and more
- The data collected by these devices can then be transmitted to a healthcare provider or other healthcare system for analysis and interpretation
Examples of Connected Health Devices
- Wearable fitness trackers: These devices are typically worn on the wrist and can track a range of metrics, such as steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, heart rate, and sleep patterns
- Smartwatches: These are wearable devices that connect to a smartphone and can provide notifications, as well as track various health metrics, such as heart rate and activity levels
- Blood glucose monitors: These devices are used by individuals with diabetes to measure their blood glucose levels and track changes over time
- Blood pressure monitors: These devices can be used to monitor an individual’s blood pressure and detect any changes or abnormalities.
- Digital scales: These devices can be used to track an individual’s weight and body mass index (BMI) over time
Benefits of Connected Health Devices
- Connected health devices can provide a range of benefits for both patients and healthcare providers
- For patients, these devices can provide personalized data and insights into their health and wellness, allowing them to take a more active role in managing their own health
- For healthcare providers, these devices can provide valuable data and insights into a patient’s health, allowing for more personalized and effective care
Note: It is important to ensure that these devices are used and implemented in a way that protects patient privacy & security
In this article let’s go through some of the top trending Medical devices that can be integrated for making healthcare more accessible and more convenient.
- Dexcom is a company that specializes in developing and manufacturing continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) systems for people with diabetes
- Dexcom’s CGM systems use a small, wearable sensor that is inserted under the skin to continuously monitor glucose levels in real-time
- The sensor sends this data wirelessly to a receiver or smartphone app, allowing people with diabetes to monitor their glucose levels throughout the day and night
- The Dexcom CGM systems are designed to help people with diabetes better manage their glucose levels and reduce the risk of complications associated with high or low blood sugar
- The systems provide real-time glucose data and alerts to help people make more informed decisions about their diabetes management, including adjusting insulin dosages, making dietary changes, and increasing physical activity
Advantages of using Dexcom Devices
1. Continuous glucose monitoring: Dexcom devices provide continuous glucose monitoring, allowing people with diabetes to see their glucose levels in real-time and make more informed decisions about their diabetes management
2. Reduced risk of complications: By providing real-time glucose data and alerts, Dexcom devices can help people with diabetes reduce the risk of complications associated with high or low blood sugar, such as hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia
3. Improved diabetes management: With real-time glucose data and alerts, Dexcom devices can help people with diabetes make more informed decisions about their diabetes management, including adjusting insulin dosages, making dietary changes, and increasing physical activity
4. Convenience: Dexcom devices are designed to be small and discreet, making them easy to wear and use throughout the day and night. The devices are also designed to be easy to use, with simple interfaces and intuitive mobile apps
5. Customizable alerts and settings: Dexcom devices allow for customizable alerts and settings, allowing people with diabetes to personalize their diabetes management and receive alerts that are tailored to their individual needs and preferences
6. Data sharing: Dexcom devices allow for data sharing with healthcare providers, family members, and caregivers, allowing for more collaborative diabetes management and better communication about diabetes care
2. Ambrosia Systems Inc
- Ambrosia is a secure cloud-based ML platform for patients, providers, payers, employers, medical device companies, and developers to visualize actionable data in a unified dashboard to help make smart decisions
- It provides next-generation ready-to-use solutions to fitness, weight loss, and diabetes management service companies enabling them to provide services for patients with diabetes, pre-diabetic patients, athletes, and people looking to lose weight
- Near Field Communication
- Near Field Communication Tags
- Continuous Glucose Monitor
- NightRider BluCon
- FreeStyle Libre
- FreeStyle Libre Pro
- Follow BluCon
Advantages of using Ambrosia
- Empower and support positive behavior changes
- Enhanced remote communication & coordination among patients & providers
- Collected, filtered, safe, and noteworthy patient information to the provider
- Cautions for irregularity in the patient information
- Improved patient adherence
- Improved compliance and wellness, reducing cost
- Advanced care from nurse practitioners
- More productive labor force
- Better expense/benefit analysis of medical care programs
3. Google Fit
- Google Fit is a health-tracking platform developed by Google that is designed to help users track their fitness and wellness data
- The platform is available as a mobile app for Android and iOS devices, as well as through third-party apps and wearable devices that are compatible with Google Fit
- Google Fit allows users to track a variety of health metrics, such as physical activity, heart rate, and sleep quality, among others
- The platform uses machine learning algorithms to analyze this data and provide insights and personalized recommendations to help users achieve their fitness goals
- Users can also set goals and track their progress over time using the platform
- One of the unique features of Google Fit is its ability to integrate with other health and fitness apps, such as Strava, Nike Run Club, and MyFitnessPal, allowing users to see all of their health data in one place
- Google Fit aims to help users improve their overall health and wellness by providing a comprehensive view of their fitness data and insights to help them achieve their goals
Advantages of using Google Fit
1. Comprehensive tracking: Google Fit can track a wide range of health and fitness metrics, including activity, heart rate, sleep, and nutrition. This allows you to get a comprehensive view of your health and fitness data in one place.
2. Personalized insights: Google Fit uses machine learning algorithms to analyze your data and provide personalized insights and recommendations to help you achieve your fitness goals.
3. Integration with other apps and devices: Google Fit can integrate with a wide range of third-party apps and devices, making it easy to track your data from multiple sources.
4. User-friendly interface: Google Fit has a clean and intuitive interface that makes it easy to view your data and track your progress toward your fitness goals.
5. Motivation and accountability: Google Fit allows you to set personalized fitness goals and track your progress, which can help keep you motivated and accountable.
6. Accessibility: Google Fit is available as a mobile app for Android and iOS devices, making it easy to track your fitness data on the go.
4. Freestyle Libre
- Freestyle Libre is a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system developed by Abbott Laboratories
- It is designed to help people with diabetes manage their blood glucose levels more effectively by providing real-time glucose readings throughout the day
- The Freestyle Libre system consists of a small sensor that is inserted under the skin and a reader device that scans the sensor to obtain glucose readings
- The reader device can be used to scan the sensor and obtain glucose readings without the need for a fingerstick
- It also includes software that allows users to track their glucose levels over time and identify patterns and trends in their glucose levels
- This can help people with diabetes make informed decisions about their diet, exercise, and medication management to help maintain their blood glucose levels within a healthy range
Advantages of Freestyle Libre
1. Convenient and painless: Unlike traditional blood glucose monitoring methods that require frequent fingerstick testing, the Freestyle Libre system uses a small sensor that is inserted under the skin and does not require fingerstick testing for every glucose reading. This can make glucose monitoring more convenient and less painful.
2. Continuous monitoring: The Freestyle Libre system provides continuous glucose monitoring, meaning that it automatically measures glucose levels throughout the day and night, giving users a more complete picture of their glucose levels than intermittent testing.
3. Real-time glucose readings: The Freestyle Libre system provides real-time glucose readings, allowing users to see how their glucose levels are affected by food, exercise, and other factors.
4. Data analysis: The Freestyle Libre system includes software that allows users to track their glucose levels over time and identify patterns and trends in their glucose levels. This can help users make informed decisions about their diet, exercise, and medication management to help maintain their blood glucose levels within a healthy range.
5. Cost-effective: The Freestyle Libre system can be more cost-effective than traditional blood glucose monitoring methods, especially for people who require frequent testing.
- Tidepool is an organization that provides an open-source platform for diabetes data management
- The Tidepool platform allows people with diabetes to aggregate and analyzes their diabetes data from various sources, including continuous glucose monitors (CGMs), insulin pumps, and blood glucose meters
- Tidepool is focused on making diabetes data more accessible and actionable for people with diabetes, their caregivers, and healthcare providers
- The Tidepool platform enables users to see their diabetes data in one place, track trends and patterns over time, and make informed decisions about their diabetes management
- Tidepool also partners with device manufacturers and other organizations to enable interoperability between different diabetes devices and software platforms
- This means that people with diabetes can use the Tidepool platform to manage their diabetes data, regardless of which devices they use or which healthcare providers they see
Advantages of using Tidepool for diabetes data management:
1. Accessibility: The Tidepool platform is accessible to anyone with diabetes and is free to use. This means that people with diabetes can easily access and manage their diabetes data, regardless of their financial resources.
2. Aggregation of data: The Tidepool platform allows users to aggregate data from multiple diabetes devices and sources, such as CGMs, insulin pumps, and blood glucose meters, in one place. This provides a more comprehensive view of their diabetes data, allowing users to identify patterns and trends over time.
3. Customization: The Tidepool platform allows users to customize their data views and reports to meet their individual needs. Users can choose which data to display, and how it is displayed, and can even customize the look and feel of the platform.
4. Interoperability: Tidepool partners with device manufacturers and other organizations to enable interoperability between different diabetes devices and software platforms. This means that users can use the Tidepool platform to manage their diabetes data, regardless of which devices they use or which healthcare providers they see.
5. Research: Tidepool’s open-source platform also enables researchers to access de-identified diabetes data for analysis. This can lead to better insights into diabetes management and the development of new treatments.
6. Smart Meter devices
- Smart Meter devices are a type of blood glucose meter that allows people with diabetes to test their blood glucose levels at home
- These devices use advanced technology to provide accurate and reliable glucose readings and often include additional features such as data tracking and analysis
- Smart Meter devices typically use a small lancet to draw a small drop of blood from the fingertip, which is then placed on a test strip
- The device then reads the test strip and provides a glucose reading within seconds
- In addition to providing glucose readings, many Smart Meter devices also include features such as Bluetooth connectivity, which allows users to sync their glucose readings with a smartphone app or other device
- This can help users track their glucose levels over time, identify patterns and trends, and make more informed decisions about their diabetes management
- Some Smart Meter devices also include additional features such as insulin dose recommendations based on glucose readings, reminders for medication and testing, and alerts for high or low glucose levels
Advantages of Smart Meter devices
1. Convenience: Smart Meter devices allow people with diabetes to test their blood glucose levels at home, without the need for frequent trips to a healthcare provider or laboratory. This can save time and make glucose monitoring more convenient.
2. Accuracy: Smart Meter devices use advanced technology to provide accurate and reliable glucose readings. This can help people with diabetes make more informed decisions about their diabetes management.
3. Data tracking and analysis: Many Smart Meter devices include features such as data tracking and analysis, which allow users to track their glucose levels over time and identify patterns and trends. This can help users make more informed decisions about their diet, exercise, and medication management.
4. Connectivity: Many Smart Meter devices include Bluetooth connectivity, which allows users to sync their glucose readings with a smartphone app or other device. This can provide a more comprehensive view of their diabetes data and help users make more informed decisions about their diabetes management.
5. Additional features: Some Smart Meter devices include additional features such as insulin dose recommendations, reminders for medication and testing, and alerts for high or low glucose levels. These features can help users manage their diabetes more effectively.
Connected Health Services from CapMinds
Improve patient outcomes by providing timely, personalized care that is more accessible, convenient, and cost-effective than traditional healthcare with CapMinds Smart connected health services. Monitor patients remotely, detect potential health issues early on, and intervene before they become more serious. Our services help reduce healthcare costs by avoiding hospital readmissions, preventing complications, and improving medication adherence.
Our Connected Health features include and are not limited to;
- Remote Patient Monitoring
- Personalized medicine
- Health Information Exchange
- Patient Engagement
- AI & ML
- Remote care coordination
- Digital therapeutics
CapMinds provide smart and advanced integration & implementation of connected health device services like Smart Meter, Google Fit, Dexcom, Ambrosia, Freestyle Libre, Tidepool, etc., to make you better track and monitor your vitals and be connected with healthcare providers.
“Let us help you be exceptionally connected for better patient outcomes”